A Low-Noise 'Urban' 17 element Plus2 LFA Yagi for 144MHz
The LFA design has a patent pending and all G0KSC designs are copyright. Any ham can build for their own use or those of a friend. Where profit or commerical gain exists, express permission of G0KSC must be sought.
The new LFA Plus2 range includes an addtional 2 reflectors which are used in order to maintain pattern stability throughout the 1MHz coverage (144-145MHz).
This is the ultimate in 2m VHF performance today, the new LFA Plus2 is the one to beat showing flat SWR, pattern stability throughout and better sky tepmerature and G/T figures than any other Yagi of the same boom length (VE7BQH list).
Currently these antennas are available in METRIC SIZES ONLY. Imperial will be launched at a later date.
As with ALL LFAs this antenna requires no matching, it has a 50 Ohm input impedance.
The look fo the 17el Plus2 when built
4nec2 (with nec4 engine) Elevation plot of the 17el Plus2 LFA Yagi
The 17el Plus2 Azimuth plot from the 4nec2 antenna modelling package
SWR as presented in the 4nec2 antenna modelling package using nec4.1 Double Precision calculation engine
- This antenna WILL NOT show the true SWR in any antenna modelling package unless you are using one which uses the latest NEC4 calculation engine DO NOT confuse EZNEC with the NEC engine. EZNEC uses nec2 by default
- There are two sets of measurements listed below. One uses imperial sizes, the other uses metirc sizes. Ensure you use the correct one for the material you have
- 'within one or two millimetres' Will not do! take the time to ensure you get the spacing ant element lengths as close as you possibly can to the measurements below to ensure good, solid performance
- Please read the 'how to make the LFA Loop' page
- Please do not alter segmentation or try to 'tune' the antenna unless you have nec4 or better. SWR will not read true within anything else
Performance European Version
Forward Gain: 17.55dBi at 144.300MHz
Front to Back Ratio: 35.98dB at 144.300MHz
Peak Gain: 17.57dBi
Peak F/B: 36.29dB
Bandwidth: 144-145MHz below 1.1:1
Build Dimensions for European Version - mail me if you need 13mm tube driven loop sizing
Element Spacing in metres Half element Length in metres Element Notes
Plus2 Rear Reflectors -.398 .514 above and below loop by 300mm
Reflector 0 .515 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
DE1 .196 .4505 10mm Tube
DE2 .361 .4505 10mm Tube
D1 .556 .480 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D2 1.065 .464 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D3 1.509 .4515 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D4 2.006 .451 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D5 2.712 .448 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D6 3.519 .443 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D7 4.384 .438 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D8 5.274 .435 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D9 6.181 .4315 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D10 7.095 .427 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D11 8.035 .423 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D12 8.954 .418 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D13 9.898 .410 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D14 10.849 .406 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
D15 11.687 .408 8mm Diameter tube or solid rod
DE1 and DE2 are joined at the ends by 8mm tube
Feed point is the centre of DE2
Nothing else of this boom size comes close to the Plus 2 on Sky temperature of G/T performance Check the VE7BQH G/T List
As always, any questions please ask!